Rollercoasters
If asked, I would tell you I love rollercoasters. Over the years I have had the opportunity to ride a variety of these amusement park adventures. From Space Mountain at Disney World, to the Boomerang at The Great Escape in Lake George, NY. There have been cars where I could sit safely in my father's lap to hanging from my back with nothing underneath, to give the illusion of flying. I have been upside down, twisted around, and even backwards. Each one more thrilling than the last; I love the loops, the speed, and the rush.
I do, however, have some rules for rollercoasters. I prefer them to have the harnesses that come down over your shoulder. I do not appreciate feeling like I can move around in my seat. I want a nice, tight, hugging fit. I am also not a fan of the drops. I do not mind a small one along the way, but I hate those huge, plummeting falls. They make my stomach rise up in my throat and, quite frankly, they just scare the heck out of me. Life can be a rollercoaster. Sometimes you are enjoying the thrilling flight, and the next minute there is a sudden drop.
The last few months have been like this for me. A flood of emotional loops and drops. So here I am writing out my thoughts and trying to remember every turn, and thrill, and stomach churning drop. Our Randi returned home from college for the summer. This is a fun thrill for a mom. Family arrived as we began to prepare for the graduation of our Hannah. Again, loops and fun. We had final concerts and awards ceremonies. These are like those little drops followed by a sudden turn. They bring a little lurch and thrill at the same time. Somewhere in the midst I learned my mother-in-law had had some scary health moments, my husband's Grandma had a heart attack, and, finally, my dear friend Michele fell into a coma. It felt like one of those old wooden coasters with just the bar in your lap that allow you to move around in your seat wildly feeling every jerk and jump. I kind of hate those things.
Hannah had her college freshman orientation and high school graduation within the span of a week, my mother-in-law received good test results, my brother, who we thought would miss graduation, surprised us and showed up just in time. Loop-di-loop! We lost Grandma-ma the morning of graduation. DROP! Family began to head home and back to normal. Flat track at the end or not...Michele died. I think the bottom fell out of the track. Flights booked, bags packed, arrangements made. More free falling. Two goodbyes in barely over 12 hours. I really want off this ride.
I love rollercoasters, but I have some rules.
Ecclesiastes 3
There is a time for everything
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die
a time to plant and a time to uproot
a time to kill and a time to heal
a time to tear down and a time to build
a time to week and a time to laugh
a time to mourn and a time to dance
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing
a time to search and time to give up
a time to keep and a time to throw away
a time to tear and a time to mend
a time to be silent and a time to speak
a time to love and a time to hate
a time for war and a time for peace
What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink and find satisfaction in all their toil. This is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it.
No comments:
Post a Comment