Sunday, May 27, 2012

Tips on Teens

I recently read a very cute article with tips on dealing with toddlers. It made me think about all the advice we give to new moms or the various resources available to those with young kids. However, somehow we are just supposed to be experts by the time they hit the teen years. After all, at this point we have been moms for going on 13 years. Sometimes a bit less when you consider just how fast our kids are "growing up" these days. The problem is that dealing with teens is a whole new game. I am no expert, as I am currently navigating my way through this new adventure myself, but as a youth leader and observer I have gained some opinions on this subject. These are a few tips based on these observations and are solely my opinion. They are also geared towards the girls, as God saw fit to place daughters in my care.
1)  10 is the new 13. Stop this! Seriously, they are going to grow up fast enough. Encourage some child like behavior and don't give in to the retail pressure.
2) If you are doing your job right they will, at some point, yell they hate you. Take a deep breath and remember they like to eat and will need money soon, so they will love you again in an hour.
3) You are no longer a teenager. Stop dressing like one. You don't have to look like a grandma, but think. Sorry but this is my blog and my opinion.
4) Diaries and journals are private; the internet is not. Kids need some privacy and I encourage them to write out their thoughts and feelings without having to share them with me. Weirdos lurk on the internet and teens do not have fully functional frontal lobes yet. This is a scary combination.
5) Hide your electronics. They will borrow them and they will do things like put pass codes on them which they promptly forget. Resetting your I-Pod touch is a pain.
6) Have cell phone free times. How can you have a family dinner discussion disintegrate into talking about burrito pee if they are too busy chatting with friends to chat with you?
7) Say no to crack. ( I borrowed this from a recent youth conference) Top or bottom teach them to save something for the imagination. 
8) Know their friends. I am finding this to be a lot tougher as they get older but still really important. Even if all their names start with A. I like to think I am a big influence in my kids' life but the reality is the friends are often bigger.
9) Be their biggest cheerleader. Go to their sporting events, concerts and awards ceremonies even if they are not the stars. They may say they don't want you there but that is just for appearances. They need and want to know you support them at all times.
10) Let them be teenagers. Expect them to be respectful and responsible but also remember that adulthood will come all too soon. Sometimes it is OK to just be young and silly.

Ephesians 6:1-4 " Children, obey your parents as you would the Lord, because this is right. Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with a promise,so that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life in the land. Fathers, don't stir up anger in your children but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment