Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hopes and Fears (Dominican Trip 1)

So my Dominican trip is getting closer and we are starting to meet as a team to plan and get to know each other before our adventure. Unfortunately I missed this week's meeting due to a work conflict. I did however get the rundown from Randi and apparently they discussed our biggest hopes and fears for the trip. Since I missed out there, I will start with mine here.
Start with the good right? So my hopes for the trip? I hope to be an effective missionary despite the obstacles we will face. I hope to be able to share my love of Christ with the children and teens of the area. I hope this trip lives up to all the things I have been told it will in my life. Lets face it, I have been dreaming about the mission trip for about as long as I can remember. I also have no idea if or when I will ever make another one so I am hoping big. Finally, I hope it has as big an impact on Randi as it does on me and that this just grows us closer. I hope that someday we can share this experience with Rob and Hannah. While we are talking about them, I hope the 10 days of father/daughter time is a growing experience for them as well.
Next my fears. I understand some of my teammates have some humorous ones. I won't rat them out here just yet. I will wait until we are  good and bonded as a team first. However, their fears did remind me of one of mine. Palmetto bugs! Suddenly, I am realizing there might be these horrific creatures where we are going. Ask anyone in my family and they will share with you, gleefully, my complete terror of these giant, flying roaches. No it does not help me to know they only breed outside. I only care about the ones that make it anywhere near me. I am so afraid of these guys I can not get close enough to one to pound it with a shoe. Besides, that does not always work anyway. They outlived the ice age; they can survive my cheap Old Navy flip flops. But being honest, my real fear is not being effective. It is that somehow I could go down there, spend those days with the kids and not leave some sort of mark on their hearts. After all, this is the real reason I am going there.
Well there they are in black and white, my real hopes and fears as we get closer to take off.

Matthew 28:18-20Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

No comments:

Post a Comment